New all-electric BMW 3 Series spotted testing

A

Auto Express

Our spy photographers have spotted an all-electric version of the BMW 3 Series undergoing development testing. The German brand’s new pure-electric saloon will follow the upcoming BMW i4 into the showrooms next year, offering fresh competition for the Tesla Model 3, as well as Citroen’s forthcoming flagship electric saloon.

Cosmetic revisions over the conventional 3 Series are minimal, with the all-electric test mule getting a smoother front bumper and a tweaked rear, which does away with the standard car’s exhaust cutout. The car also features deeper side skirts, behind which sit the EV’s underfloor battery pack.

Like the rest of BMW’s planned all-electric models, the new 3 Series EV is likely to receive a blanked-off radiator grille and a set of aerodynamically efficient alloy wheels, features that will help the car cut through the air more cleanly, boosting its range.

The 3 Series EV is likely to use the same underpinnings as the upcoming pure-electric 4 Series, which was recently previewed by the Concept i4. This features a 523bhp electric motor and an 80kWh battery pack, giving the i4 a projected 0–62mph time of four seconds, a top speed of 124mph and – most importantly – a maximum range of 373 miles.

What do you make of the upcoming all-electric BMW 3 Series? Let us know in the comments section below…

Continue reading...

Back