Road Closure affecting the Cruise

Bigmatt

Hi everyone,
Been a bit lax in getting to the cruise but intending to come for the September and October ones, weather permitting.

Thought you should all be made aware (if you didn’t already know) that as of Oct 21st, Clarence Esplanade will be closed from the Hovercraft terminal / Clarence Pier, ip to the Blue Reef Aquarium. This is due to works commencing on the next part of the sea defences improvement scheme, and is expected to last until 2026.

Shouldn’t affect gathering in the usual car park but we will have to turn right and go straight up to the Duisburg Way roundabout and along Duisburg Way / Clarence Parade if we want to take the cruise east bound. It will obviously have a knock on effect on traffic volume on those roads as anyone wanting to get anywhere near the seafront will have to go as far as Avenue de Caen.
There are other traffic management issues in the pipeline, which I have on good authority from my partner who works at the Council, and none of it is good news. One possible thing that might adversely affect us is the increase in scope of the Clean Air Zone charges, which they are considering applying to all vehicles, including residents, and that will almost certainly kill the cruise unless consideration is given to relocating it.
I don’t know if it will be like the London ULEZ scheme where cars over a certain age are exempt, but the current charge is £12.50 a day to drive through the zone (currently applies to HGV’s vans and I believe taxis!)

As things develop I’ll try and keep you updated.

All the best,

Matt (black ‘71 Firebird)

Back