The top ten best cars for MPG and running costs

• Thread starter Auto Express
  • Start date
A

Auto Express

• Covering: Fuel economy, servicing costs, other running costs (road tax, insurance, etc)
  • Winner: Nissan Leaf
  • Score: 90.02%

There are a number of different costs associated with owning a car. Once you’ve made your purchase, you need to tax the vehicle, insure it, and then you’ve got the price of fuel, servicing and consumables such as tyres and brakes to consider.

The MPG and running costs category of Driver Power takes all of these factors into account, and the overall winner for 2020 is the Nissan Leaf. As an electric car costing less than £40,000, it’s exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty, while you also found it very reasonable to service.

Second place in this category went to the overall winner of the 2019 Driver Power new car survey, the Toyota Prius. This hybrid model really steals the show when it came to fuel economy, while owners also noted its low servicing costs.

Third place in the category was earned by the all-electric Renault Zoe, which is like the Leaf in that it benefits from zero road tax and low insurance costs. Special mention must go to the Kia Niro, which was rated as cheaper to service than any other car, and came fourth overall here.

Your view

“I don’t pay any road tax on my Leaf and the insurance only costs me £280 a year. So far, charging has proved significantly cheaper than filling up with petrol did.”

MPG and running costs top 10

1. Nissan Leaf
  2. Toyota Prius
  3. Renault Zoe
  4. Kia Niro
  5. Hyundai Ioniq
  6. Toyota Corolla
  7. Mazda MX-5
  8. Citroen C4 Grand SpaceTourer
  9. Honda Jazz
  10. Renault Clio

Click here to tell us about your car in the Driver Power survey...

Continue reading...

Back