Panhard bar setup for the T/A

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Well after having a few cans of San Miguel I decided to pop online to look at upper and lower panhard bars.
Well ended up in the shopping cart. They are on their way.
1000073264.png

There are bits underneath I wanted to tidy up. The bits of pressed steel needed painting, instead of painting I'll just pop in nice shiny tubular ones. Adds more tunability to the suspension setup too.

As a bonus 3rd and 4th gen have the same rear suspension parts, therefore what I take of mine, clean it up and pop it on the Camaro. The Camaro pressed steel bits are not nice looking at all, very rusty.

Last edited:
Like your justification for buying parts for you car lol.🤣 The fact you might donate you 2nd hand parts to swmnbo car lol.🤣

Like your justification for buying parts for you car lol.🤣 The fact you might donate you 2nd hand parts to swmnbo car lol.🤣
I had factory replacement lower control arms on my car for a year before I installed the red ones. So they were pretty new, they are already on the Camaro.
The upper and lower panhard bars are already off Sarah's car due to having to come off to get the fuel tank out easier.
It's interesting that suspension parts are the same parts used for 20 years of manufacturing across 2 generations. It seems these days manufacturers change stuff yearly or certainly during the manufacture of the model.

One item is this one:-
https://www.umiperformance.com/home...ar-with-poly-bushings/?attribute_pa_color=red
1722968584337.png

Description​

UMI’s tubular on-car adjustable panhard bar replaces the flimsy stock stamped panhard bar while adding increased strength and rear end adjustment. This is a must for rear end centering after vehicle lowering, as well as clearance for running larger tires. The supplied CNC machined double adjuster features left and right hand threads for quick and easy on-car adjustments by simply loosening (2) jam nuts and does not require removal of panhard bar from the vehicle. The Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings featured on both ends eliminates bushing deflection while not sacrificing your ride quality; this is an excellent improvement for your street or drag application. As well as easy adjustments, our heavy duty panhard bar also increases rear stability, controls side movement and body flex.

Features:

• Quick and Easy “On Car” Adjustments
  • 1.250″ x .095″ DOM Steel Tubing
  • Precision TIG Welded Construction
  • CNC Machined 4140 Heat Treated Chome-Moly Adjuster
  • 4140 Chrome-Moly Threaded Tube Adaptor
  • Energy Suspension Grease-able Polyurethane Bushings with Grease Fittings
  • Uses OEM Hardware, installs in 20 minutes
  • Brilliant Durable Powder Coat Finish
Install instructions looks nice and simple:- https://www.umiperformance.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2029.pdf

The other item is:- https://www.umiperformance.com/home...lowering-leveling-kit/?attribute_pa_color=red
1722968696446.png

Description​

UMI’s 3rd and 4th Generation GM F-body competition panhard bar lowering and leveling kit is designed to increase over-the-axle exhaust pipe clearance and also lower and level the Panhard bar. This competition proven setup includes a weld-in reinforcement plate for the factory panhard bar mount as well as an adjustable strut to prevent lateral movement of the bracket system. Laser cut adjustment slots permit lowering and leveling the PHB for roll center height and performance tuning. This kit gives much of the performance of a Watts Link with easier installation and adjustment and at a lower price point. Available in UMI red or gloss black powder coat. 100% designed, manufactured and raced with pride in the USA.

Installation Notes: UMI’s panhard bar lowering and leveling kit requires at least 1.5 inches between the sway bar and axle tube. This distance can be achieved by using UMI’s P/N 2244-275 sway bar bracket kit or equivalent. Please check clearance before purchasing, see image below for additional clarification. Panhard bar lowering and leveling kit must be used with an adjustable panhard bar.

Features:

• For use with factory axle only.
  • Lowers rear roll center height 1-3/4” to 4” in 7/16” increments.
  • 100% bolt-in for street use. Welding required for competition use.
  • Upper panhard bar brace built using 1.250″ USA DOM tubing.
  • CNC Laser cut bracketry throughout.
  • Exclusive weld-in reinforcement plate (required for competition use).
  • Adjustable panhard bar height and leveling.
  • Upper panhard bar brace available powder coated UMI Red or Gloss Black.
Tech tips:

• Factory location is “too high” for performance use.
  • Lowering the panhard bar prevents mid-corner oversteer.
  • Raising the panhard bar enhances mid-corner rotation.
Install instructions a little more involved:- https://www.umiperformance.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2062.pdf

These are where the parts go once installed.
1722968879495.png

Tempted to get subframe connectors later on for further up the car. Just gives a good talking point for the MOT guy.

Last edited:
I'll post more of an update tomorrow, but found that I needed a swaybar relocation tracket to accept the panhard bar, its really just a longer thread on the u-bolt. Anyway, was looking at their options, and got adding things to the cart including the Red End Sway Bar installation Kit (which is what I need for the new panhard bars)

Ordered and confirmation email received. This will be fun, loads of Red shiny bits to add.
1722981365765.png

Product Link :- https://www.umiperformance.com/home...-sway-bar-kit-tubular/?attribute_pa_color=red
1723017530159.png

Description​

UMI’s light weight tubular sway bars are designed to reduce body roll, understeer and increase corning capabilities resulting in a more balanced suspension. The 35mm front sway bar is more rigid than the factory 30mm and 32mm front bars and comes complete with new heavy duty end links and greaseable sway bar bushings. The rear sway bar is 22mm tubular and is also supplied with new heavy duty end links and greaseable sway bar bushings. UMI’s sway bars are manufactured from tubular high carbon steel, CNC bent and formed as one piece to ensure maximum strength and performance. Kit is available powder coated bright red or gloss black for a durable long lasting finish. Manufactured in the USA.

Product Link:- https://www.umiperformance.com/home...&attribute_pa_axle-diameter=axle-housing-2-75
1723017609529.png

Description​

If you have an aftermarket rear end and no way to install a rear sway, this kit is the solution. This kit includes everything needed to install a factory or aftermarket sway bar to your new rear end. Supplied with this kit is new bolt on CNC machined bushings mounts, heavy duty zinc plated chrome moly u-bolts and longer end links. This kit places the sway bar below the larger center section on aftermarket rear ends and provides proper clearance. The supplied longer end links provide the proper geometry of the rear sway in its new mounting location. Note: This kit will also work on adapting a rear sway bar to vehicles that were not supplied with a sway bar from the factory.
Installation: This kit is a 100% bolt in application for the 82-02 Camaro/Firebird, it requires no welding! The sway bar mounts feature CNC machined teeth designed to grip into the rear end securely fastening the sway bar in place. With out these teeth the sway bar mounts may shift on the rear end binding the sway bar end links and applying pressure to them. Unlike our competitors design our sway bar mounts also feature gussets welded on each end to prevent the brackets from spreading while tightening.
Polyurethane Sway Bar Bushings: Due to the larger u-bolts needed for aftermarket rear ends the factory sway bar bushings and clamshells will not work. This kit requires polyurethane bushings that feature larger slots for a universal fit. We have these bushings available in 19mm and 22mm, if you purchased an aftermarket sway bar it most likely was supplied with these bushings.
Kit Includes:
  • CNC machined sway bar mounts with grip teeth and gussets
  • Correct diameter heavy duty chrome moly u-bolts
  • Longer Energy Suspension polyurethane end links
Axle Tube Diameters:
  • Strange Engineering and Currie rear ends use 3” diameter axle tubes
  • Moser Engineering 12-bolt rear ends use 3” diameter axle tubes
  • Moser Engineering 9” rear ends manufactured after early 2002 use 3” axle tubes. Rear ends manufactured prior to early 2002 use 3.25” axle tubes. Please verify diameter before ordering.
  • Other brand rear ends will vary, please check your axle tube diameter before ordering.
Note- 3.25″ clamps required UMI billet sway bar mount or modification of factory mount.

Product Link:- https://www.umiperformance.com/home...relocation-kit-manual/?attribute_pa_color=red
1723017694942.png

Description​

The torque arm relocation kit from UMI Performance is designed to remove the front mounting point of the torque arm off the transmission and protect the tail shaft from damage. General Motors tail shaft mounted design works great for a stock driven vehicle however it is not designed to take abuse and hard launches. This set-up replaces your transmission cross member with a new stronger set-up with a built in torque arm mount. Each relocation kit is designed to fit a specific transmission and will work with virtually any stock style aftermarket torque arm as well as the factory torque arm. This unit is built using rectangular mild steel tubing, 0.188” mild steel mounting plates and includes all appropriate hardware needed for the installation. The torque arm mount is machined from 0.250” thick mild steel and features a new clam shell for appropriately attaching the torque arm to the new cross member. Please use the FAQ’s below for additional information.

Q: What does this kit do?
A: Our transmission cross member is supplied with a built in torque arm mount removing the torque arm from the transmission tail shaft and protecting it from failure.

Q: Does this new relocation kit reduce ground clearance?
A: No, our cross member is designed to tuck tight against the vehicle chassis and will not effect vehicle ground clearance.

Q: Which brand torque arms will this work with?
A: This set-up will work with virtually any torque arm on the market as long as it bolts into the stock location. It will also work excellent with the stock torque arm.

Q: Does this add additional weight to my vehicle?
A: No, this cross member in most cases will save weight over the stock unit while being structurally stronger.

Q: Does this kit require any drilling or welding?
A: This kit is 100% bolt in and requires no drilling, no cutting and no welding. It bolts in place of the stock cross member using the existing holes.

Note: This product must be used with a solid one-piece polyurethane bushing. It will not work with the factory bushing that utilizes a two-piece design. If using a stock torque arm with this relocation kit an aftermarket polyurethane bushing must be purchased. This item can be purchased below, Item # 3004.*

Product Link:- https://www.umiperformance.com/home...me-connectors-bolt-in/?attribute_pa_color=red
1723017821633.png

Description​

UMI offers the tightest fitting 3-Point subframe connector on the market. The USA manufactured subframe connector by UMI is designed to tuck tight against the vehicle floor preventing ground clearance loss and exhaust clearance issues. Unlike our competitors design the UMI 3-Point subframe connectors are bent and contoured to follow the floor pan of the car. This time consuming process assures UMI offers a superb fitting system, with excellent clearance and fitment. No other subframe connector is built like this. Subframe connectors are designed to tie the front and rear subframes together while adding additional cross bracing throughout the center of the vehicle. Improving chassis stiffness reduces dash rattles, t-top squeaks and quarter panel flexing. The UMI 3-Point design works with all driving types and allows better weight transfer for improved traction and straighter launches. UMI’s 3-Point set up is 100% bolt in and requires no cutting, drilling, welding or fuel line relocation. Kit includes detailed installation instructions, mounting brackets and high grade hardware. Although this set-up is a bolt in kit it can be welded at any time.
Features and Specifications:
  • Tightest fitting 3-point design on the market. Design keeps ground clearance issues at a minimum.
  • Uses rear control arm mount for increased strength and assures proper installation.
  • 3-Point spider web design attaches to six major points throughout the body for extreme chassis stiffness and handling benefits.
  • Round tubular design allows for a tighter fit against the vehicles under carriage.
  • Bolt-In design requires no cutting, drilling or welding.
  • Constructed of 1-3/4” x 0.120” USA mild steel tubing.
  • Front attachment point CNC laser cut from ¼” USA steel.
  • Manufactured in Philipsburg, PA – USA
Install Instructions:- https://www.umiperformance.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2004.pdf

Product Link:- https://www.umiperformance.com/home...-body-driveshaft-loop/?attribute_pa_color=red
1723017951509.png

Description​

UMI driveshaft loop installs easily and meets NHRA requirements. Two piece construction features improved clearance over previous designs.

• Utilizes factory tunnel mount location
  • Laser cut 3/16″ steel
  • Routes above exhaust for maximum exhaust clearance
  • NHRA approved design
  • Two piece design does not require exhaust or torque arm removal
  • Works with full length torque arms
  • Can be used with some tunnel mounts (spaces down 3/16″)
  • Race proven
  • 100% Made In USA

Video of someone installing the Panhard relocation parts.
Also gives more room for exhaust, currently only room for 1 x 4inch pipe to come over the axel. I've been thinking of having a true dual system since the install of the current exhaust back in 2007.

I found this video very interestng, showing the sideways movement of the axle as your suspention travels up and down.

First of the two parcels import tax bill has come in and been paid.
This was for the $648 item,
1723029319981.png

Gonna be a tad larger once the $2095.88 gets evaluated for import tax.

The panhard and install bits are here.
1000073448.jpg

Other parts being shipped Tuesday or Wednesday. I emailed them Friday to ask when it would be sent out, Then checked what time zone they are in as I frequently talk to our head office 6 hours behind. While seeing their time zone they had a weather warning of a cyclone. Kinda felt bad for chasing up the order as they are probably wondering if their homes would be carried away. Anyway they did reply back estimating Tuesday/Wednesday shipping. :)

Other parts not shipped. I'll send thme an email later today. Last Friday I emailed them, and they said due to be shipped Tuesday/Wednesday. Looking at the order info, its still 'processing', its now Friday. Perhaps its on its way, and tracking not updated.

Got a reply :), I'm happy waiting, as gonna be atleast a few weeks before I'm ready for them
HI Dan,
We received our U-Bolt shipment late yesterday afternoon. Your Order should ship by the end of today or Monday at the latest. You will receive an email with a tracking number when it ships.

Have a great weekend.

Thank you

F88y58E6YPja0pBiy3n8DsbYmBOlyps0HnAqkR3GryImR74Yj51Zal3m6VLzqsJruWY7wmy5SVUThTPyJNDNO9fuELFQECOzk2hcLgrFhd9sfRcmcxcdNS6kiSy8vSBtaZcGaon2CH5gftWA0G6ZOBnJgJ1jiReFSMqamXrklSKvJ6HtjRiQh2FCdAZqpw

Ordered so many parts FedEx think I am a business. I have responsed to them. Its all going on the same car used for private use, not linked to a business. Hopefully get this resolved shortly, and I'll get the tax bill paid, I'm expecting around £500 ish.

1724161530757.png

what impression have they got that its a bussiness ???????????????
show them your car and this thread would possible be a help???

Well the packaged is at Stanstead at a stanstill
They have not replied back to the info I sent on the 20th.
Contacted FexEx online chat, they dont deal direct with customs but was helping the best they could.
If I had an EORI numer that you can get if you are a business or sole trader it would go though fine. Because I want these for personal use, there seems to be a delay and not responding to me.
At the end of the chat the chap(that dosn't work in customs) responded.

1724318208336.png

So I have 1 week until they go back to where they came from. I do hope the customs clearence team contact me soon, I have sent them another email.

Perhaps its quicker I register a business to get the EORI number... lol.

Well around 6 hours after the chat with Fedex I get an email from the same GTSClearance@fedex.com email address.
1724342107211.png

So things hadn't gone through, they still want an EORI number. I have emailed them 4 times, and my email is being accepted by their email server as I can track it through. Opened up another chat with FexEx. My concern was them sending the package back. They have updated the data to say I'm a private buyer.
1724342228101.png

1724342243920.png

I shall wait longer.

Well the fight/wait still goes on. Emailed them from a different email account, got an automated responce. Still no bill from them.
Contacted there online chat. Still no help. They just said I need to sit back and wait.
I'm concerned about the storage charge of £10 per day per package. Thats £40 a day waiting. I do hope I'm not being charged while they are being slow. I am willing to pay, I just need the bill.
Thats 5 emails and 3 chat sessions now.

That's not good.

Got the bill through earlier. Been waiting for this. Paid that within seconds. I guess next delivery day will be Tuesday now.
1000074178.png

Back