Reinstalling Cats on the T/A

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
For some time I have been running no cats on the car. I have long tube headers, then a short straight through pupe, then into the y-pipe, 4 inch down the car to the back box.
The short straight pipe had the wideband sensor in it. I have installed the sensor next ot he O2 sensor in the driver side long tube header. So its at a point now where I could remove the straight pipe and install the cat as the cat is the same length as the straight pipe, designed to swap in/out.
Old picture showing the red rin for the clamp. Green is the the straight through pipe.
1723111850421.png

However the sleve that joing the straight pipe to the Y pipe is a 3 inch sleeve with a little step in it. I tried removing this, but the bolts are stick solid, not tried heat. I see its cheap enough to buy new. I'll cut the old off and pop on new with the cats.

Replacement sleeve clamps have arrived.
1723111456850.png

I'll post more pictures during the install. Perhaps a job for this weekend?...

The cats to go on, Thes will change the exhaust note not so raspey, and not like a gatling gun when getting on it at 2k rpm.
1723111911914.png

Need to find the cats, put them in a safe place. Thr photo was earlier in the year. Can't see them in that shed, loft garage or my office. Perhaps under the camaro, will check this evening.

No problem, it was meant as a humorous comment.

All jacked up, need to undo 4 bolts on that clamp. 4 bolts on each side for the join to the long tube headers.
1000073546.jpg

Required geat. 4ft long bar, a lot of swearing. Got to the point of putting so much force into it hoping that bolt would snap. A couple did.
1000073549.jpg

New clamps too big, only just. So my plan is to use that old sleeve with new hardware
1000073552.jpg

1000073551.jpg

Had to get a cutting disc to some of the bolts.

Both straight through pipes are off now. Tempting to hear what it sounds like. Can't resist.

Would of been easier using your pit you have that you paid alot of money for but don't use doh.

Your new clamps look like stepped ones differant size each but old ones look same size both ends

Could use of used heat or angle grinder to get clamps off well you did buy new bottle of gas

Last edited:
Old ones were stepped too. There are a few sizes, I knew it was bigger than 2.5 inch, I measured 76mn so went for the 3Inch ones. However it's around 3mm too big all round even when fully tight.
I used loads of heat on the old bolts to try to remove a nice cherry red at one point after they had been soaking for days in penetration oil. They were seized good and solid. Managed to get one out, another snapped with using 3ft bars(this was good as it just fell out then), and 2 were cut off.

Last edited:
1000073594.jpg

1000073595.jpg

My old wideband sensor, wire still goes to around the brake master cylinders, needing to remove it from the channels it was in.
1000073596.jpg

1000073597.jpg

It's getting there. Off out in 30mins.
Think I need some larger overalls, these are tight when stretching to reach stuff under the car, almost cutting off circulation to my arms.

been even easier if you were using your pit , put on weight eating swmnbo cakes that she keeps making you lol,,,

1000073609.jpg

1000073611.jpg

1000073612.jpg

All buttoned up.

The other day I could hear a ticking noise like a loose rocker. So took the rocker covers off to inspect. Evident of a rub, but could be old.
1000073613.jpg

Rotated the engine and checked all 8, still tight.
1000073614.jpg

Didn't take 10mins to check, rather check often that wait for something to fail.

Time for test drive. Whizzed into town. Hopped out to get a video of it on tick over. Fell faster as it's less noise to get the same speed.

Back