My Nova

I think that will look great Darren, just enough and not too much.

However perhaps someone went a little too far. :dance:
ChevyNova_LowFront_HighBack.jpg
The satin black looks nice though.

Last edited:
Here are my eventual plans for the Nova (funds willing :ballchain:)

I did have the engine rebuild pencilled in sooner, but don't want to rush it, so instead of being 2-3 years, it'll be 3-5 years. However, I've added a couple of bits in the short term in itallics to tie me over ;)

Short Term - This year, next at latest

• Re-fit my vinyls, I miss my racecar look
  • Fix leaking transmission *
  • Fix the leaking scuttle panel
  • Upgrade the speakers *
  • Fit uprated shocks front and rear
  • Lower the front/cut a coil off the springs
  • Replace heads with 62cc Vortec heads (much better flow than stock)
  • New Edelbrock Performer intake manifold (different bolt patterns on vortec heads)
  • Fel Pro head gaskets (4.100" x .015" thick)
  • Crane Power Max 272-2 cam
  • Howards #98212 valve springs
Those engine mods would give me a new compression ratio of around 9.5:1 and when tuned should give me between 350 and 380 bhp :D

Mid-term goals (1-2 years)

• Replace front drum brakes with discs
  • Fit a brake servo
  • Fit a line lock :D
  • Fit an AC delete panel so that I can have a working heater again
  • Re-paint underside and chassis

Long-term goals (3-5 years - fingers crossed, depends how quickly I can save)
Engine rebuild!!!
  • Block skimmed, honed, converted to 4 bolt mains, and finished in purple
  • Crank balanced
  • Forged pistons and con-rods
  • Flowed aluminium heads
  • Mild tuned cam (low overlap, short intake with a longer exhaust)
  • Uprated rockers/cam followers
  • new push-rods
  • Edelbrock RPM intake manifold
  • High stall torque convertor
  • Vortech centrifugal supercharger :D

...also

• Positraction 12 bolt diff
  • new wheels (skinny fronts, fat rears)
  • House of Kolor Kandy Burple spray job

That should keep me going for a while lol

Last edited:
Well, plans have changed slightly again, but not by too much. Firstly I have a couple of advisaries on the MoT that I'm going to sort. The brake hoses are starting to perish around the rubber, so I'm going to replace those with braided lines. Also, there was some play in the passenger side wheel bearing, so I'm going to change all 4 at the front. All those parts are 41 years old, so I may as well. I'm also going to change the leaky seal on the transmission, which will save me a fortune in fluid. Will probably change the filter (did a couple of years ago, but may as well as the tranny will be drained) and put on a new sump.

Next up will be some top end work to the engine. For this I've pretty much had my head in books for hours and hours getting my head around what parts I need, to get the most efficiency out of the engine. I'm getting there with what I want. I know I want a fast street build with around 350-400 bhp with max torque at around 5000 rpm.

I've decided to go with a pair of RHS Pro Action aluminum heads. These will have 64cc combustion chambers (which with the 0.015 thick head gaskets should give me a compression ratio of 9.9:1 - assuming my current heads are 74cc, will be 10.1 if 76cc or 9.7 if 72cc), .560" valve lift, and 180cc runner volume (smaller runners for more velocity, 180cc is fine up to 450-475 bhp). They come pre-assembled with Comp Cams valvetrain (2.02" intake/1.6" exhaust), and flow around 240cfm, which again is plenty for my application.

I'll be changing headers for a set of full length Hooker competition's. I'll decide between 3" or 2.5" collectors closer to the time and when I have a better idea of the realistic bhp I'll be getting, below 375 and it'll be the 2.5"ers. Funds permitting I may go for ceramic coated, which should last longer and will reduce heat in the engine bay. I'll probably wrap the headers too, because it looks cool ;) and reduces heat. May have to lose the hornies though, depends how long the collector would be with them on (with glasspacks like that bolted straight to the collector, the end of the pipe is seen as the end of the collector so dictates the reflection wave time and therefore cylinder scavenging. I'll work out the optimum length and see where that leave me. If I have to change the purple hornies, I think I'll be going for an x-pipe and some high flow mufflers, then exit just in front of the rear wheels.

Cam, I'm looking at 4 degrees of advance with a duration of 224/224 (0.050" lash), lift of 0.326(0.522)/0.326(0.522) and 1.6 roller tip rockers (will use the original 1.5's for cam break in)

Intake manifold, my current Edelbrock performer should be adequate, but I may replace it with and Air Gap Performer or Performer RPM which will be better. I also need to decide on whether to stick with the Holley or put the QJet back on. The Holley is more easily tunable, but the QJet may give better results.

As for the bottom end of the engine, for now I'm not going to touch it, other than installing a budget moroso street/strip oil pan. The lower part of the block should be able to handle this amount of power.

Well, thats the plan anyway :)

* edit *
Forgot the air filter.
I'll be going for a K&N filter (think they're called x-stream, with the filter element around the side and in the top) then provide some kind of cold air feed to it.

Last edited:
Sounds fine but you don't want header wrap and ceramic coating. Ceramic coating is the way to go but it ain't cheap.

Are they not compatible, or does the ceramic do a good enough job of containing the heat without it? They're about $200 more than the painted headers, but then the cost of the wrap for the standard headers would probably work out to an extra $100. So an extra $100 for more protection from the elements would be well worth it.

So much to learn and take in, but it's all good :)

Well you're going to be keeping yourself busy :)
I have been already lol reading and re-reading books, watching lectures. It's starting to sink in though and I'm starting to be confident in my selections, just want to make sure that everything's right and will work together well. Forgot about the air filter though, so if best edit my post.

More than good enough without wrap. Wrap is old school, ceramic is newer tech and much better.

Sounds good to me then, ceramic it is. Now I just have to pick which colour ceramic, silver, titanium, or black :) I think black would look cooler, don't know if the colours will have any effect on heat (ie black attracting heat) in which case it would be a double bonus :)

humm, tough derision, what colour is your engine bay? is it black around the edges? I would be tempted to go for a header colour that would stand out from that.

It's black at the moment, but not too worried about them standing out. Was thinking about going silver with the block when that eventually comes out, so they'd contrast with that; the heads are natural aluminium too. Was also thinking about getting the endurashine intake manifold (as chrome manifolds do actually keep the charge cooler, so hoping endurashine may have a similar effect) and don't want too much silver. Getting some nice tall black Comp Cams rocker covers, so black headers could look nice. May even get the engine bay sprayed purple when the car is resprayed way down the line.

Was there no Purple hornies on the exhaust selection in Forza? you should send them photos of your car, they may bring it out in the next update.

Shopping List
Darren wanted pics, so...

knn-66-3040_w.jpg

K&N X-Stream air filter

EDL-7501_OH.jpg

Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap

RHS-12002-01.jpg

RHS Pro Action aluminium heads. Pre built with COMPCams valves and springs

HOK-2451-3HKR_xl.jpg

Hooker Competition Darkside ceramic headers

cca-1601-12_w.jpg

COMPCams Ultra Pro Magnum roller rockers

COMPCams push rods, hydraulic flat tappets, and 268 xtreme energy cam

flu-620101.jpg

Fluidampr

Plus the sump, oil pump, bolts, & gaskets etc

I guess the headers are just for show and no replicating the real thing, as the exhaust ports are the wrong spacing for the heads.

All the bits do look nice though. Air filter looks nice.

Yeah, it was a stock image, here's the real thing

large2451HKR.jpg

Definitely going with the black ceramic finish too after reading this:

The Darkside coating also provides improved thermal resistance as compared to traditional silver ceramic (1700? F vs. 1300? F) making it highly recommended for supercharged or nitrous applications as well as for reduced under–hood temperatures.

Back