My Nova

Thats wonderful news Darren. Can't wait to see you driving around :)

I've been driving around for a few days over the bank holiday weekend and am loving it. Parking can be a pain, but it's a price worth paying. I've seen a lot more yank cars than usual since I've been driving it too, 3 or 4 day vans, a new mustang, a lovely red Dodge (I'm guessing 50's, similar shape to a Bel Air, possibly a Coronet).

Can't wait for the 20th, which reminds me I must order my tickets!

More work :)

I did say when I painted my grill, it wasn't to look like an SS. At the time it was true, but when this popped up on US eBay I couldn't resist.

ss_badge_1.jpg

It's not in the best condition as someone during it's life decided to paint it matt black, but it is off a '73 Nova so the period is correct. ...and seeing as for '73 model cars, the SS was just a trim specification rather than a power package I'm not really cheating anything by putting the badge on.

Here's the badge now, after I'd done a bit of work on it, waiting to go on the car.

ss_badge_2.jpg

Wow that looks like that involved a lot of elbow grease. Looks completely different. But you see this is what ebay does. They taunt you with all their goodies. I wish i still didn't know how to use it.....so does my husband, H !!!!!:glare:

I agree, eBay is an evil, evil thing... especially eBay.com with all the nice bits for my car. I must look on there at least twice a week, though I am trying to find a bargain inlet manifold so I do have an excuse... sort of ;) The problem is when you look for an inlet manifold but find a nice chrome ratiator mounting plate or a pair of bowtie mirrors.

eBay = eVil hehe

I did give the car a polish and t-cut today. It's not a showroom shine, but it's 100% better than it was. It actually has a shine to the paint now, where it didn't before. I still think there's a lot of dirt ingrained in the paint, so I'm thinking of splashing out on a pro valeter to give it a proper clean with a claybar as I think it would improve the paint even more.

You really love hard work don't you. I must admit we polished the mustang today and i had my first go with a buffery thing. My whole body is still shaking!!! But boy what a shine. Gotta look good for the cruise tomorrow haven't we. Don't forget to come and say hi and we will get Al to get you on the video. I am looking forward to seeing your car.

i wood say do the Cly-bar yourself its so easy and pro valeter will cost a lot

i will say use if you wont a good Finnish meguiars

Quik Clay Starter Kit use a 3 stage
1.Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
2.a good Polish
3.a good wax

I've used the 3 stage kit, but that wasn't getting it up anywhere near as good as it got my old car, that's why we went with the t-cut this time. I know a valeter through my work, so I might be able to arrange a deal with him as he needs his van signwritten. But I'll check out the quik clay starter kit if he is sticking to his full prices.

Also, a little tip, most of the Meguiars products are great, but their wax lets them down. I'll be investing in some DoDo Juice Purple Haze wax once I get the paint back to a decent level, they're wax is superb, easilly as good as waxes costing 3 times as much. I used some DoDo Juice Supernatural on my motorbike, and the wax lasted for about 9 months, I just kept on giving it quick cleans with Meguiars Speed Detailer and it came up immaculate, and was still beading like the day I applied the wax (I was pretty bad for cleaning my bike that year).

Ooh i am gonna use that wax really cos i just love the name of it. Where do you get it from Darren?

yea i no what you mean Meguiars wax are leting them down i will give that DoDo Juice Supernatural ago
yea i use a lot of the Meguiars Speed Detailer as i dont have the time doing a 6hr hand valet on the car :D

I saw the Nova there. Looking good, sorry I didn't get a chance to come over and say hi. You were just leaving as I saw you.
Club night on tuesday. May see you there.

Trace: You can get Dodo Juice direct from them http://www.dodojuice.com or there's a local guy who also supplies their products who's based in Whiteley http://www.envyvaleting.co.uk. It's worth looking on the Dodo Juice site to find the right wax for your car as they have different waxes for different colour vehicles, eg PurpleHaze is a soft wax for purple and dark blue cars, Orange Crush for yellows & oranges etc... Their site does seem a bit slow at the moment though.

Mason: Supernatural is awesome stuff, more expensive than their other waxes, but it's good for all colour cars and it's right up there with stuff like Swissvax and the like for quality.

Dan: I saw a few cars I recognised and met Alan. I'm planning on coming along on Tuedsay, so long as I don't get stuck at work, which I have been the last few weeks.

Gave the Nova a bit of a tune up today. It ocurred to me that we were just assuming everything was right as the car was running well, so thought it was best to check. The idle speed was wrong, so corrected that, and corrected the timing from 11B to 8B, which is what it should be in the book. Think I'll get a fresh set of spark plugs and need to get hold of a dwell meter so I can get the ignition system fully tuned. I know the points, dizzy cap, and leads were changed recently (in miles), so I'll have a look at them and may only have to give them a clean up.

On the good side of things, I think the oil I'm getting in the air filter is due to the carb sucking vapour up, as the crankcase breather that is supposed to be in the air filter box has been replaced with a piece of foam. Therefore, I'm pretty confident if I replace it with a breather filter mounted directly on the rocker cover it won't leak and the problem will be solved. While I had the filter off, I've noticed that the choke doesn't work at all, which means the whole time I've been using the car, it's been on. I've moved the flap so that it's off, which will mean I'll have to be a bit patient while the car warms up, it also means the sooner I can get my Qjet on the better.

On the bad side, I need to get a new water pump as the bearings are on their way out. Good day though, the car's slowly getting sorted.

Just finished changing the water pump, no difficult bolts, a nice easy job. The engine is so much quieter now. My Automotive multimeter arrived today and seeing as the engine needed to be warm to get all the water flowing through the block, I thought I'd give it a try. The engine now idles at a definate 600 RPM, its so much easier to see a digital read out than try and guess with the RPM setting on a timing light, I've also adjusted my dwell angle to exactly 30 degrees, so other than the spark plugs which I will replace, the ignition system is now fully set up.

A good evenings work I think :)

Sounds good to me, What is this meter you speak of? Bring it along on Saturday and explain all si vous plais.

The squeak is gone :)

We found out the transmission gasket was leaking, most likely when the car was moving as there was never an oil patch on the floor. Pulled the tranny sump and when cleaning it the gasket disintegrated. A new filter, gasket, and oil later and the noise has gone. After the journey home there was no oil loss, so hopefully it's sorted, just need to keep an eye on it.

thats good news

Got a bit of work done to the Nova, I was planning on taking out the starter motor and giving that a once over, but my Dad must have taken his tools with him on holiday (I must get myself an imperial socket and spanner set) so I had to do some other things.

I wanted to stop oil getting in my air cleaner and crudding up the filter, so I removed the passenger side rocker cover and drilled out the hole to 1 1/4" so that my Edelbrock breather would fit. I managed to fit it while retaining the original baffles. For the drivers side, I do have the matching Edelbrock breather with a pipe fitting, so that it replaces the PCV valve, but I don't know if this would be the best solution, or if just fitting a new PCV valve would be better?

While the air cleaner box was off, I did something I should have done a long time ago...disconnected the EGR valve. It's still on the car, but is no longer functional (always off). It will be completely removed when I get the new inlet manifold.

While all the air cleaner stuff was out the way, I took the time to check the dizzy cap and it was all good, only a little bit of normal crud. I also tidied up the spark plug leads route. I was going to check the plugs gaps, but I need to get the smaller size spark plug spanner, will do that soon as it's the only part of the ignition system I've not checked or renewed.

After that, I turned my attention to the immobiliser. A few months ago we found a horn hidden in the engine bay which had similar wiring to the immobiliser, but was not working. I traced the wires and got it working (when the immobiliser is on, if the bonnet is opened it sounds), but then had issues when I tried to start the car, so I'll have to investigate the wiring further, but will have it all working soon.

Next jobs for the weekend are...

Starter motor
Spark Plugs
Immobiliser Wiring
PCV or Breather

Back