My Nova

Yeah, always something to do.

Been looking into it more and I may fit an oil catch can after the PCV. I say PCV as I'm still in 2 minds as to if I should remove it or not. I've found out that PCV valves were only fitted to the SBC from 1968, and other than all the emmissions rubbish and the compression ratio, I cant see the engine changing that much in the 4-5 years til mine was built. I'm not going to do anything silly like block off the ventilation to the crank case, but I have something that looks a lot prettier to sit on top the rocker cover (http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/accessories/br_chrome.shtml #4410) which'll then go to the catch can, and then back to the port under the carb. The only thing stopping me is that I've heard people have problems at idle when they removed the PCV (though this was not with a 350 chevy, but an ECU'd honda). But then again, a mini's crank case breather comes out a back plate on the engine and then straight into the carb, so would doing that on the chevy be bad?

When I added the Catch can in the PCV system, it didn't change my idle at all. Providing there are no leaks in the PCV cysterm it will still be running the same vacuum. Got rid of the EGR valve too, that did change the idle.

hi guys , just remember removing pcv valve will alter intake mixture , you want to keep crankcase well ventilated or oil will start passing rings and oil seals ..
early minis just vented to atmosphere , later cars used closed breather system ,timeing chain cover to carb .

mark.

That's wierd as the egr should be off at idle, it opens up as the revs go up.

I think the way to go is to take the PCV valve off and stick the pipe in the rocker cover and see if it makes any difference. All I can see is that by removing the valve there would be a small amount of vacuum at idle, whereas with the valve in place the spring would close the valve under low vacuum. I guess if that doesn't work, the other option is to try and find an inline PCV valve that can go in the pipework on the way to the catch can.

Hi Renegades

I would recommend you take off the PCV valve, and dump valve altogether and go with an SOS or FOC majiggy thing cause it worked on my flying saucer when the crank case trigger oojamaflipp went pete tong and the maccy wedgey thing got stuck up the wotsit which was attatched to the nuclear reactive, radio active, over active, cybourg detector that apparently would detect a Squirrel in Lycra at a 100yrds.Flying saucers are temper mental at the best of times and on take off, i get such a Maccy Wendy on that i get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when i get rubber in all four gears, shes my little fllying saucer you dont know what ive got.Its not very big, its silver with flashing lights and goes like stink!!! There guys i hope that answers your question!!

Cheers, Nanu Nanu! I will show you all one day when i can afford the import duty from planet Superb!

Just as a quick note, the Nova is back at my dad's now, rather than making the farmhouse car park look good. Apparently, it fired up pretty quickly when he tried to jump start it from the transit, so I guess the spark plugs were just too wet to fire. Still, I'll be checking out the starter, flywheel and timing tomorrow as Paul suggested. Maybe I should back the idle fuel mixture off a bit too, I have a feeling that the previous owner may have opened up the mixture to compensate for the choke not working.

Oh, Dan, I didn't get a chance to thank you on Tuesday for the use of your jump leads and car battery, so thank you very much :thumbup1:

Oh, Dan, I didn't get a chance to thank you on Tuesday for the use of your jump leads and car battery, so thank you very much :thumbup1:

No worres, glad I could help. Frist time I used the jump leads, been in the boot of the car for over a year. I keep a few useful things in the boot, which helps a little with traction. Hope you got home okay that night, and glad to hear it has fired up, as you say it could be wet plugs.

nice plates

nice plates

Pulled the starter motor today, and it all looked ok. There was a section of about 5 teeth on the flywheel that are a little warn, but only 1 or 2mm on the contact edge. On the starter its self, there was 1 tooth on the pawl that has a little uneven bit on it. However, there was a tonne of crap in the motor, so we gave it a good clean and refitted it to the car, and it now turns over like a new car. I just need to sort out a carb with a working choke and there'll be no more starting problems for me :)

nice work darren

Hi Darren

Well done mate you've been busy, hopefully your Nova is sorted now, just remember we are all here to help.

Cheers Superb!

Hi Darren

When you get your carb speak to Paul and he will tell you exactly which type it is, if i remember correctly if its got a fuel rail on it then its a double pumper, you would be better off with a vac secondary. If you need a hand fitting it let me know or you could pay Paul a visit on Sat mornings and have a coffee with him and he could be on hand to help out , my offer still stands if you would like me to call round and help out as long as you put the kettle on, Lol.

Cheers Superb!

Result!! Picked up the manifold and carb today and it couldn't be better. The manifold is an Edelbrock Performer spreadbore, and the carb is a Holley 1850-4 (4160 style) carb, which is a vacuum secondary carb.

Now I have to pick which carb to use:

The holley should be around 600cfm and I'd need to get a new adapter plate as the one that came with the carb had a crack in it near a threaded hole, which I guess was for a vacuum port possibly for the transmission or brake servo. The downside to this carb is it has a mechanical choke, so I'd have to rund a cable through to the cabin.

The Qjet should be around 750cfm and where it's spreadbore would not need an adaptor plate, and where it has smaller primaries would be more economical when not stomping on the loud pedal. It's a modquad too, so shouldn't suffer from the warping and leaking problems that affected some earlier quadrajets. This carb has an electric choke.

Back